Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cantalouper at Mojo's 9/2/11

I was contacted by Levi from Cantalouper to do another poster for them, this time a headline show at Mojo's on September 2nd. As usual, the band gave me free reign and it was nice to do a poster that showcased the band as headliner. While brainstorming, one of the first ideas to come to mind was an old cassette tape. I've always liked cassette tapes. Probably because that was mainly the medium of music that I grew up with. We always had records in the house, but when my siblings started purchasing music, it was mainly on cassette. I remember talking with the guys about how some bands today are releasing new music on casstette and reverting back to the warm, lo-fi sounds of analog. And while I've never heard Cantalouper in analog form, something about their music tells me it would work perfectly in that guise.

 I added textures to both the black "plastic" of the cassette as well as the "paper" label. I think these helped in adding a bit of interest and depth to the illustration while still keeping it stylized. I added the Cantalouper head logo in place of the reels and was also glad to finally get to incorporate the font I designed as well. I kept going back, adding little details here and there like the pieces on the sides of the cassette and the strands of tape that always seem to show in the counter window. Here is the final result!

No comments:

Post a Comment