Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cantalouper Font

This is the project that had kept me busy all Spring. I apologize for just getting it posted now, but as soon as it was finished, I had to rush it off to the web designer who is currently hard at work on the Cantakouper website. This is a project that I am extremely proud of. I built the font entirely in Illustrator CS4 and learned tons along the way. Designing a font is an involved process. Not only do you have to come up with a cohesive design throughout the alphabet, you also have to take into consideration the relationships between each letter. I took typography in school where we learned by definition tracking, kerning, ligature, etc. but never really worked with them on a practical level. Well, at least in the aspect of designing a font. For example, adding the curved tail to the "a" as it leads into the "l" so it will create a flow to the font almost like a cursive as opposed to leaving the curved tail off the "a" that is before the "n". The "n" has such a strong vertical stem that the curved tail wouldn't fit with it, so the blunt, non curved tail was the best option.
Technicalities aside, I plan on completing the alphabet in this style for Cantalouper so they can use it beyond their logo. But for now the basic design is in place so the construction shouldn't be too difficult, just time consuming. But I had a blast working with the band and learned a ton about Illustrator!

2 comments: